Stardust from Meteorites: An Introduction to Presolar Grains by Maria Lugaro

By Maria Lugaro

The examine of presolar meteoritic grains is a brand new inter-disciplinary box that brings jointly themes from nuclear physics to astronomy and chemistry. characteristically, many of the information regarding the cosmos has been collected by way of looking at gentle via telescopes. even if, with the hot discovery that a few dirt grains extracted from primitive meteorites have been produced in stellar environments, now we have the chance to collect information regarding stars and our Galaxy from the laboratory research of tiny items of stardust. Stellar grains characterize a different and engaging topic of analysis. Their research is a step forward in examine on stellar nucleosynthesis and the starting place of the elements.While a couple of really good reports exist at the subject, this publication is the 1st paintings that brings jointly in a unified and available demeanour the history wisdom invaluable for the learn of presolar grains including updated discoveries within the field.The e-book contains workout questions and solutions, an in depth word list for simple reference, and greater than forty figures and tables - from schematic diagrams to electron microscope photos and graphs of effects from stellar grain measurements and theoretical stellar types.

Show description

Read Online or Download Stardust from Meteorites: An Introduction to Presolar Grains (2005)(en)(209s) PDF

Similar introduction books

Student Solutions Manual - Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic 2010

An advent to Programming utilizing visible uncomplicated 2010, 8th version, — always praised through either scholars and teachers — is designed for college students with out earlier computing device programming event. Now up to date for visible easy 2010, Schneider makes a speciality of instructing problem-solving abilities and sustainable programming talents.

Many-Body Problems and Quantum Field Theory: An Introduction

"Many-Body difficulties and Quantum box thought" introduces the techniques and strategies of the themes on a degree appropriate for graduate scholars and researchers. The formalism is built in shut conjunction with the outline of a few actual platforms: solidarity and dielectric houses of the electron fuel, superconductivity, superfluidity, nuclear topic and nucleon pairing, subject and radiation, interplay of fields by means of particle alternate and mass new release.

Extra info for Stardust from Meteorites: An Introduction to Presolar Grains (2005)(en)(209s)

Example text

Temperatures and densities of the different region of the star are computed using theoretical models of stellar evolution, while nuclear reaction rates are measured in the laboratory, or calculated theoretically. The composition of many elements in presolar grains show large variations due to the nucleosynthesis that occurred in their parent stars. The analysis of these effects provides constraints on the thermal structure of the stars and on nuclear reaction rates. In order for the nucleosynthesis occurring in the hot deep layers of the star to be relevant to the composition of the dust grains forming in the much cooler outer regions, some mixing mechanism niust be at work so that the processed material is carried from those deep layers to thc surface of the star.

To which they were exposed during the extraction (Fig. 55). Even if Sic can crystallise in many different ways, 80% of presolar S i c grains have cubic form (@-Sic,as opposed to a-Sic, which refers to a variety of different structures) and the remaining 20% have hexagonal form [77]. g. [l22,127])and a relatively large amount of information is available, which will be discussed in detail in Chapters 4 and 5. Based on their C and Si composition, S i c grains have been classified into several populations, the largest of which (mainstream Sic) comprises more than 90% of the grains.

2). The mixing issue is also strongly connected to the mechanism by which the grains condensed. Two- and three-dimensional hydrodynamical calculations involving a large computational effort are needed to attempt to produce realistic models of the pre-supernova and supernova stages [24]. The existence and the composition of presolar grains from supernovz can be used as a road map in the difficult task of understanding mixing phenomena in supernovz. 2 Physical and chemical properties of the gas around stars and supernova From the structural features and the elemental composition of presolar grains it is possible to obtain constraints on the properties of the circum- Meteoritic Presolar Grains 21 stellar gas in which they formed.

Download PDF sample

Rated 4.62 of 5 – based on 42 votes